So far, since January first:
- A close family friend is hospitalized and not expected to live out the week.
- I'm really sick with a fever/flu/cold and can't visit him in the intensive care unit to say goodbye.
- The love of my life just found a lump on one of his testicles.
- My elderly father's dementia has suddenly worsened. He got lost driving to a friend's house and can't remember the combination to his postal box. Last weekend he left the hose on and drained the water tank--twice.
- My elderly mother, who is in so much chronic pain they want to give her a morphine drip, may now be losing her eyesight.
- My cat, who has been beside me through thick and thin for twenty years, is fading away.
- With all the stress I've been under the last six months, I've succumbed to eating whatever I can get my hands on and my blood sugar is spiraling out of control.
- The brakes on the truck are squealing.
- My supervisor told me he plans to quit next month when he gets his degree. He's the only buffer between me and the Big Bad who took over our department.
- I haven't been able to write one word of fiction.
I'm so ready for a good change. When is that going to happen?